Friday, August 20, 2010

SWVA

Good ole southwestern Virginia -- I'll miss you! I'm packin' up and headin' for the big city for round two of grad school. Being at home for a week or so has been so restful. Immediately coming back to my Virginian roots made me a little bitter. No fun parties, no cab rides to happy hours in the city, and definitely no beaches I've been accustomed to during the past summer. I immediately thought well, hell there ain't much I left in Christiansburg, VA. But then that changed quickly. Everywhere I go in this small joyful town people extended their smiles, offer a hand, and engage people. I remember my Mom telling me "Everyone is SO nice up there!" before my freshmen year of high school as we prepared to move to another state. She was right though.

I'm so appreciative of my roots here (as well as NC), and am glad that I can inhabit both the small town and big city life with relative ease. I've come to appreciate so many things about small towns as well as big cities, and I consider that an accomplishment. I was listening to some Old Crow Medicine Show and this lyrics stuck out and made me laugh. This definitely rings true of my life, metaphorically right now.

"Even though you're wearin' those
Up-town high heels
I can tell from your giant step
You been walkin' through the cotton fields."

The start of school this semester will be my official last day of my first day of school ever. I immediately say "YES!" after this statement, but it's also true that I enjoy being a pupil, soaking up knowledge from my professors (well at least trying), and not having real-life bills to pay. I'm in a sort of purgatory when it comes to adulthood since I'm not financially independent. Once I'm financially stable apart from my parents, I know I will be missing the good ole days of my college career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJSrjW9Wc4A

it's back to school as Billy Madison says!

luckily, i get to spend a few days in Culpeper/Charlottesville with Anni soaking up life at vineyards and visiting Christ Episcopal Church. PDL!

No comments:

Post a Comment